A blog is a website created by a writer(s) to share trending stories, personal experiences, opinions and observations, etc. Over the years blogging has become popular among the millennials and has turned to a great pastime on the web. People blog to share news, stories, fashion, life style and more.
I know starting a blog can be quite terrifying if you are not a techie, but guess what? I created my blog myself. And so, I have had people send me messages privately on how to create a blog and I have answered them repeatedly, almost stating the same thing over and over again, so I decided to write a post on how to create a blog and more to help people who might not be able to send me a private message on social media but wants to create a blog by themselves.
- Blog type: I have heard people say they want to write, but they don’t know what exactly to write about. Its okay if you want to blog but you have to think about what exactly you want to blog about. There are different types of blog e.g Lifestyle blog, Fashion blog, Food blog, Motivational blog, Beauty blog etc or you can create your own classification. You can also combine two or more types of blog to create yours, if that’s what interests you.
- Web hosting: After figuring out number one, you have to decide which site will host your blog. WordPress, Blogger, Wix, Tumblr, etc are some of the hosting sites. I personally chose WordPress.com because its flexible and quite easy to navigate through for me and WordPress.com takes care of all my back end issues.
- Subscription plan: Do you want to start off with a free plan or you want to pay for a domain name right away? the ball is in your court. There are pros and cons to both. If it’s a free plan you get the basics like WordPress.com sub-domain, Jetpack essential features, Community support, Hundreds of free themes, Basic design customization, 3GB Storage space and if it’s a paid plan you get a Custom domain Name, Jetpack essential features, Community support, Hundreds of free themes, Advanced design customization, More Storage space, Monetize your site and more depending on which paid subscription plan you go for.
- Blog design: WordPress has a lot of free themes and you can customize these themes to soothe your taste or the blog image in your head. There are also widgets, menu, font, background, etc that are in each theme and they can be customized to your preference.
- Blog post: A blog post contains a piece of writing or other item of content on a blog. Each blog post has post settings like the categories and tags, featured images, social media sharing options,post format, slug, excerpt, location and discussion. This settings affects the appearance of the blog post, reach of the blog post and impression of the blog post on readers.
I will be explaining more about the blog post settings in my next post on creating a blog. Look out for it!!!
DISCLAIMER: This post is written based on my experience running a blog on WordPress.com. It is not a sponsored post for WordPress.com.
By the way I started this draft a while ago but I was unable to finish it; I think I should start Vlogging, probably videos will help me address issues faster than waiting to collate my thoughts. What do you think? Let me know your thoughts in the comment section below. And how helpful do you think this post is? I would love to hear from you.